Sunday 26 October 2008

Inspiration from Lisbon


I've just been away to Lisbon for a few days. What an inspirational city! Full of views and textures. Lots of decaying paintwork and huggly-piggly architecture.



Is this a decaying catalogue in the centre of Lisbon? No, I am afraid not. This was a piece of corrugated iron covered with old posters, but it did remind me of the catalogue decaying back home.




The city's graffiti artists were quite prolific , and I thought these works were worth taking a photo of. I post more pics later.



Here is a piece of sculpture in the botanic gardens. This is a good place to visit if you are ever in Lisbon. The cacti are wonderful, so I got lots of photos and close-ups to inspire me during the winter months. Note the lovely mosaic pavement beneath . This is a real feature of Lisbon, so don't wear high heels if you go there!


This is a view over the Alfama district. I loved the patterns made by the roof-tops.

I was very sad to hear about the death of Julia Caprara whilst I was away. She was a great inspiration to me and it was through reading one of her books that inspired me to take my C&G in embroidery. She will be sadly missed.

No comments: