Sunday 12 October 2008

Textures and cabbages

A busy day inspired by the new book by Maggie Grey, Textile Translations.

I had tried mixed media in my first pieces for the Norton priory exhibition, but I had trouble stitching the pieces.

I decided to make 5 samples following the instructions in chapter one, using slightly different colours and papers in each. I have a couple of ideas in mind, for a final piece.


Here is three of the samples at the first stage of chapter one in the book.


Whilst I was waiting for the gesso to dry I took Barney for a walk along the sea cop adjacent to the Ribble estuary.

A beautiful day, so warm and sunny but the view of the Pennines and the lake district was obscured by cloud.



I saw these lovely marks in the mud on our way back across the fields.
They had the same textures as the samples I had left drying in the garden.


The cabbages I photographed last week, have changed colour and some of their leaves are showing a lovely lacy texture.



When I got back home the gesso had dried so I sprayed the samples with some Moonshadow Mists I bought at the Fashion, Stitching and Embroidery show at Harrogate last week.

Here is the result.



Finally, whilst I was in the garden I just had a check on my catalogues ( see Maggie Grey's weblog Magstitch). This is the result so far!


















No comments: