Tuesday 5 February 2008

Ramblings



I knew once the rain had stopped it would be difficult to keep this blog going. However, as it really is my own place to record my life it doesn't really matter how much or how little I make a post.

Last week we had a great day in the Lakes. We went up the old 'Blue Flash' route near to Raw Head cottage in Great Langdale. This is really the old way over to Grasmere. The blue flashes which originally marked the path have been replaced by yellow arrows. This is a steep ascent but gets you to the top of Blea Rigg very quickly, and away from the crowds. (No crowds last week, which makes a change) From Blea Rigg we walked towards the head of Langdale. The sky was spectacular as the sun shone out of the heavy wintery clouds. With a strong wind in our faces we climbed Sergeant Man. (Met a miserable couple who were on the way down, who found it difficult to say 'Hello'. They must have been upset because we were sharing 'their' mountain.)From here we walked over Pavey Ark and Harrison Stickle and then decided we had time to bag Pike of Stickle before we desended via Dungeon Ghyll back into Langdale. The dog was tired for once . We only met 10 people on the hill all day. It is a long time since this happened!
This week I have managed to play some golf. My first 18 holes since October and I recorded a net 73 and that included a 10 at the second! I hope my driver keeps on working like this, this summer.
I have finshed the jacket I have been knitting with the bargain wool I bought on E Bay. I am very pleased with it and will post a picture as soon as someone takes my photo whilst I am wearing it.
The garden wall which collapsed is gradually becoming a new Tate sculpture on my patio. I am quite proud of it. In fact I think it is better than the original pile of bricks as the mortar gives it an interesting texture.
On Sunday I made a great chicken stew from Nigel Slater's Diaries, followed by a Lemon Merange pie, nearly as good as my mother used to make. Oh what comfort food.

1 comment:

Maria Walker said...

I quite agree Sue, I tried to set myself a target of updating mine weekly but honestly life isn't like that- also you shouldn't create extra stress for yourself.
Have you done your flowers for t21?